North Olmsted, Ohio… Moen, a leader in smart water technology, continues to expand its revolutionary Smart Water Security System, giving homeowners more power than ever before to control, conserve and monitor the water that flows through their homes – including the ability to help stop leaks before they start damaging your home.
“Water leaks in the home are one of the leading causes of preventable insurance claims each year – with the average claim for non-weather-related water damage costing nearly $10,000*,” says Suzy Street, senior product manager, smart water technology, Moen. “With the Smart Water Security System, we’ve given homeowners the power to better understand their water usage and help prevent water damage, completely transforming how they experience water in their homes.”
The System is comprised of several unique innovations that combine to provide an unparalleled whole-home water security and management solution, with the ability to control the system from the corresponding Moen Smart Water App:
- Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff:
- Game-changing leak detection and water monitoring device that’s installed on the water lines going into the home and can automatically turn off the water to the home if a leak or risk are detected. The Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff provides automated water security by monitoring water pressure, flow rate, and ambient temperature, while running daily Health Tests to check for leaks and other abnormalities. If the device senses a home has a leak or is at risk, it will alert the homeowner so they can take action through the app, or the device can be set to close the water valve automatically and help prevent damage.
- If a homeowner has both the Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff and the Moen Smart Faucet – Moen’s connected kitchen faucet featuring app-based, voice-activated technology – the products will be able to work together to help prevent a catastrophic water event. For example, in the case of extreme cold temperatures, a homeowner can use the Moen Smart Water App to turn off water to the home and purge the water lines with one click to help prevent water damage or a burst pipe.
- Smart Leak Detector: Standalone sensor that can be placed anywhere in a home to alert users when and where it detects moisture outside of the pipes to help prevent water damage and loss. Users simply place the discreet 3.5” sensor where they see a risk, such as the basement, laundry room, attic or other areas in the home that are susceptible to water damage by environmental factors or fixture malfunctions. If the Smart Leak Detector senses the presence of water, freezing temperatures or high humidity, it will alert users through a push notification in the Moen Smart Water App.
- Smart Sump Pump Monitor: Helps homeowners reduce the risk of flooding as a result of failed sump pumps by providing monitoring and alerts when potential failures or unusual conditions are detected. The Smart Sump Pump Monitor is retrofittable to a homeowner’s current sump pump and provides peace of mind through advanced analytics and by monitoring for high water levels, loss of power, pump failure, as well as temperature, humidity, and leaks.
To supplement the benefits of the Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff and the Smart Sump Pump Monitor, homeowners can choose to subscribe to FloProtect™, an optional service that offers an unrivaled layer of security with on-demand expert advice and financial protection against the worst water damage events, for only $5 per month. Among other benefits, the service includes a $5,000 deductible guarantee, as well as a 5-year extended warranty.***
A full line of optional accessories is also available to extend the functionality of the Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff and Smart Leak Detectors, including:
- Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff Battery Backup: Will sustain the Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff for 3+ days in the event of a power disruption.
- Extension Cable: The 25-foot low voltage extension cord can be used if a homeowner needs additional cable length to reach a power outlet. The cable is safe for outdoor or indoor use, and homeowners can connect up to four extension cables together for even more length.
- Spacer Kits: Available to pre-plumb a home for a future Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff installation or can be inserted in place of the Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff should the device need to be removed.
- Smart Leak Detector Leak Sensing Cable: Allows users to extend the performance of the Smart Leak Detector by providing an additional six feet of leak detection technology. Ideal to fully cover the circumference of an area, such as around a water heater, along a leaky window or basement walls, or under a sink.
No matter which combination of products they choose, homeowners can rest assured their home is secure with the Smart Water Security System. In fact, a recent study with Lexis Nexis** showed that one year following installation of the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff, homes saw a 96 percent decrease in paid water leak claims compared to two years prior to installation – while control group home claims increased 10 percent during the same period.
“From helping prevent water damage and leaks, to offering insight into water usage and setting conservation goals, the Smart Water Security System gives homeowners peace of mind their home is protected and puts total control of their home’s water at their fingertips,” adds Street. “It truly is whole-home water security and management at its best.”
For additional information about the Moen Smart Water Security System, visit moen.com or call 1-800-BUY-MOEN (1-800-289-6636).
* Source - 2019 LexisNexis Home Trends Report
*** For details see https://support.meetflo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005317174-Terms-and-Conditions-FloProtect-
Moen is the #1 consumer faucet brand in North America, offering a vast array of stylish and innovative kitchen and bath faucets, showerheads, accessories, bath safety products, kitchen sinks, garbage disposals, leak detection products and connected home offerings for residential applications that give consumers more power than ever before to understand and control the water that flows through their homes. These thoughtful designs deliver an exceptional user experience and elevate the way people interact with water every day. In addition, Moen Commercial offers superior-performing products that can deliver lower lifetime costs for today's facilities.
Moen is part of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS), which creates products and services that fulfill the dreams of home. Moen anchors the Global Plumbing Group (GPG), which also includes several brands under the House of Rohl® including Perrin & Rowe®, ROHL®, Riobel®, Shaws® and Victoria + Albert®. Fortune Brands’ other brands include Fiberon® composite decking and railing products, Master Lock® and Sentry® Safe security products, LARSON® storm doors and windows, MasterBrand Cabinets® and Therma-Tru® entry door systems. Fortune Brands is part of the S&P 500 Index and a Fortune 500 Company. For more information, please visit www.FBHS.com.
Courtney Yerega or Emily Baker