North Olmsted, Ohio... Do you share a playlist with your Poodle? Snuggle in bed with your Siamese? Take a bath with your turtle? It might seem far-fetched, but since many of us treat pets like they're family, we often let them do things behind closed doors that others might find surprising. In fact, a recent survey, commissioned by Moen, conducted online by Harris Poll, finds that over two in five Americans who have ever owned a pet (43 percent) have let their pet lick their plate before washing them. And that's not all we let them do...
- Sudsing Up -- Fifteen percent of Americans who have ever owned a pet have bathed with their pet.
- And wait, there's more...Over one in eight Americans who have ever owned a dog (thirteen percent) have taken a shower with their dog.
- Nearly two thirds of Americans who have ever owned a pet (62 percent) have bathed their pet at home.
- Dining Alongside Your Dog -- Fifty-five percent of people let their pooch sit at the dinner table. *
- Sleeping Together -- Forty-two percent of all dog owners* allow their pooches to sleep in bed with them at night.**
"There's no doubt about -- we love our pets. And it's in part, because almost all of us have had at least one furry friend in our lifetime," said Andrea Maher, senior marketing communications specialist, Moen. "Our recent survey finds that close to nine in ten Americans -- 88 percent -- have ever owned a pet. What's different about today's pets, however, is that we truly treat them like family...some, we treat even better than family."
With countless people working outside the home, many pets are left to fend for themselves for the day. To make them feel like someone is with them at all times, several pet owners leave the TV on for their cuddly companions. And some do a bit more...
"Today's pampered pets truly have it made," added Maher. "At Moen, we've heard from customers who have installed Pot Filler faucets to fill dog water bowls...to those who have created pet bathing stations with our powerful handshowers...to even some who have bath tubs dedicated solely to wash their pets. It's no longer a 'man's world these days...it's definitely a 'pet's world' -- and we're just living in it."
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Moen from May 24-26, 2016 among 2,026 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Courtney McGeever, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* "Doggy Dining." Food Network Magazine Mar. 2016: 26. Print.
** Myers, Wyatt. "Should You Allow Your Dog in Your Bed?" EverydayHealth.com. Everyday Health Media, LLC, 8 Mar. 2015. Web. 11 July 2016.
- Pet Renovation -- Fourteen percent of Americans who have ever owned a pet have updated a room/item to be more pet friendly.
- Moolah on Meows -- Roughly 1 in 5 Americans who have ever owned a pet (nineteen percent) say they spend on average $100 or more on their pet per month, outside of medical expenses.
- The average amount Americans who have ever owned a pet spend on their pet per month, outside of medical expenses, is $55.