Design & Planning Kitchen
From space-saving designs to the latest in sophisticated style, our design tips are made with you and your dream kitchen in mind.
Add an Hour to Your Day
Whether it's hitting the snooze button, mindlessly surfing the Internet or even "watching and waiting" for the water to get hot enough in the shower, everyone wastes time throughout their day. Five minutes here or 10 minutes there -- it all adds up. Be aware of common daily time wasters; and by eliminating some (or all), you'll be able to get much more out of your day.
To determine where you waste the most time, first think about your habits. Keep track of how long you spend completing everyday tasks. Do you check your home email multiple times each day? Are you cleaning the same areas in your home over and over? Or does time slip away while you're frantically looking for household items? By realizing how you use your time, you'll be better equipped to determine where you can save valuable minutes, so you can spend that time wisely on life's more important things.
Quick Tips for Time-Saving Here are some easy tips to eliminate daily time wasters. Try out some of these suggestions to add an hour or more to your day:
- When purchasing appliances, faucets and fixtures, look for products that require less frequent cleaning -- like Moen's new Caldwell™ showering slide bar with a Spot Resist™ finish (available at Lowe's) - that guards against fingerprints and water spots.
- Stock a set of cleaning supplies in a caddy on each floor of your home to prevent running up and down the stairs each time you need something.
- Keep your to-do list short and include only three items each day. You'll be more likely to complete every task and feel more accomplished.
- Assemble a non-emergency, emergency kit with spare batteries, a measuring tape, light bulbs, duct tape and a flash light, so when you need something, it's all in one, convenient location.
- Create a weekly meal plan and master grocery list. You'll cut down the number of trips to the store, saving time, money and gas.
- Speed up the mail opening process with a letter opener and don't even bother with junk mail - toss it straight into the recycling bin or shredder.
- Buy greeting cards for all occasions at once, instead of running out to pick one up for every birthday or anniversary.
- List credit card numbers on a single index card and keep it in a safe place as a quick reference when ordering online or over the phone.
- Arrange to have monthly bills paid directly from your checking account or credit card account.
- Don't waste time babysitting household items. Install a digital shower or Roman tub, like Moen's ioDIGITAL™ system, which activates with the touch of a button and alerts you when the temperature, flow and bath water height are at your desired level.
- Book the first appointment of the day with doctors and dentists, while they’re still on-schedule. Always book future appointments before you leave the office to avoid making an extra call.
By realizing and avoiding these time-eating traps, you'll soon find yourself enjoying at least a few extra moments each day.